Committed to helping our clients succeed
You Need A Reliable Law Firm That Helps Deal With Your Family Matters
Professional and experienced family law attorney
You've come to the right place
Our vision for McLaughlins is to continue to be the Gold Coast’s oldest Law Firm with professional and approachable Lawyers, providing the highest standard of legal services locally and internationally.
Committed to helping our clients succeed
Our practice areas
Divorce & separation
Adoption & Surrogacy
Why choose our firm
Excellent Track Record.
We understand your life is in turmoil.
No extra charges. Everything is decided during the contractual stage.
Unparalleled Customer Service
At McLaughlins, we will keep you fully informed of your legal costs along the way. We will keep you fully appraised of every step, and will provide you with individual attention.
Let our experience be your guide
Get your first consultation free!
We look at the law differently
Our client's reviews
A process server is an individual who delivers the courts papers which require the presence of the defendant in a court. They are responsible for handing over the papers in person. However if it is not possible they may hand over the papers to the management where the defendant works.
Hiring a process server in Brisbane is an important step because the legal matter has to be heard by the court. Process servers are important because they help in upholding the due process of the law.
Responsibilities of a process server
- The process server is responsible for delivering different legal documents to a person or a party thus making them aware of a lawsuit against them.
- These court documents could comprise of write, subpoena which require the defendants presence in the courts. The defendant is then compelled to appear in the court with the necessary documents to come and testify in the court.
- Usually a neutral person above 18 years of age is employed to act as the process server.
- Make sure to differentiate between the services of process and the service of subsequent documents. The former deal with providing a party with a notice of a legal proceeding against them. The latter on the other hand only occurs during the proceedings and not before that.
Is it necessary to hire a process server in Brisbane?
Hiring a process server is necessary because it can help ensure that your documents are delivered to the defendant. Hiring a professional and registered process server is necessary because they have the understanding regarding complex laws of process serving. Hiring the right process server can help save a great deal of time allowing you to stay free from any sort of pitfalls. They are also experts at finding hard to track people. So you don’t have to worry about the fact whether the papers have been served or not.
Once the papers have been issued by the court the plaintiff has a certain time period during which they should make sure that the papers have been served to the defendant. If they fail to submit the papers on time, they may have to start the proceedings all over again. The key is to quickly serve the papers and the right process server can help you do just that.
Hiring a process server is the legal ways of making sure that the court papers are served in a timely manner. If you are wondering how much it would cost to hire a process server, it would differ from one individual to the other. Process servers who are out of state would charge you more.
All process servers ensure that they work legally to ensure that they serve the legal documents within a specific time frame. They are supposed to operate within the jurisdiction of the law. The plaintiff can’t perform the services of process. The plaintiff needs to hire the services of a third neutral party and have to ensure that they are above 18 years of age. Find a process server in Brisbane to do all these work for you.
All business either big or small require legal representation. The right lawyer can be a great asset for your business. However, as an entrepreneur you need to make sure that you hire the right person for the job. If you have a new set up and have no prior experience hiring a lawyer, things can get a bit intimidating. If you aren’t too well informed, you wouldn’t be sure why and what kind of services you are looking for. Hiring a lawyer is a detailed process which needs to be made with careful deliberation and thought.
The following tips from the lawyers in Maryborough would help you find the right business lawyer.
- Get to know why exactly you are looking for a business lawyer. If you are just starting out you may need to find someone who offers an initial consultation. This is better because you can get to know the answer to your queries and also get guidance on who you should hire for the business dealings. Keep in mind that initial consultations are not free and you would have to make a payment for the time.
- Also if you are about to go into partnership or starting a completely new business or selling an old one, you need to hire a lawyer before you make any decision regarding these issues. The lawyer would guide you through the entire process and make things smoother.
- Make sure you find a lawyer who understands your business niche or is at least willing to understand it. Despite a lawyer being one of the very best in their fields, if they know nothing about the business niche there are bound to be communication issues.
- Choose the right firm. There are both pros and cons of hiring big firms, small firms or lawyers who practice solo. If you have a small business which is a new start up you may benefit from hiring the services of a small firm as well. If yours is an established business and looking to forge newer markets then a big firm can be a great option. They are well versed in corporate world and know the right strategies to help your business grow bigger.
- You may benefit from hiring a lawyer who resides within your city or state. This is because if you have any pressing issues or certain documents which need to be seen on an immediate basis you can have an easy access. While a lawyer in another state would do just as well because documentation can be sent in a matter of minutes with the help of the internet. This is actually a matter of what your personal preference is.
- Make sure you discuss the fees before you hire a lawyer. This is because you should be able to afford the service of the lawyer whom you prefer. Business lawyers usually work on hourly rate.
Family matters are rather personal and attached with our emotional stability which is the reason to
why such cases are precarious. When we are talking about the legal protection associated with our
families, we are hit with the realization of the sensitivity surrounding such a situation. Then the
reality dawns upon us on how considerate we should be towards hiring a legal officer for the family.
This vast area covers more than divorce papers such as child custody, family billings, insurance,
adoption among others.
With the diversity of skilled lawyers in the field, it is a challenge to hire one who is assisted with the
proper components of knowledge with enough valuable experience to comprehend and carry out
the task at hand effectively. This certain factor is important when hiring a family lawyer. To guide
you through the process, here are some tips to help you in the process of hiring a family lawyer gold coast:
The important thing to consider while hiring a family lawyer is to determine the integral parts of the
lawyer’s past. While handling family matters, the lawyer is ought to delve into your personal life and
take notes on your confidential experience. This is why it is vital that you figure out the lawyer’s
motives and his legal strategies before you allow him with the personal interference.
Area of Expertise
It is advisable that the family lawyer you hire has significant experience in the said field, especially in
the family matters. This is recommended because a lawyer with valued knowledge regarding the
family matters will have higher status over other experienced lawyers because of the experience in
When hiring a family lawyer, you are often encountered with a vast group of skilled people, all
having intricate knowledge regarding family matters. This indecisiveness can lead to the wrong
preference of hiring which may eventually cause the loss of your trial. To refrain from this, you can
refer to recommendations about the lawyers, their certifications and referrals offered by your
trusted groups of people.
The basic thing in hiring a lawyer is his past legal experience; what the outcome of his previous cases
rendered to? Moreover, it is through those experiences that the lawyers are able to make a better
judgement on the future cases and permits him the chance to decipher the subtleties. What could
be a major advantage is if the lawyer has quality experience in family matters.
The main thing with lawyers is that you are able to enunciate every vital ounce of the matter with
them. In order for them to comprehend your situation and help you win the case; they will be
required to devote their considerable time towards you which is what you should consider in the
qualities of a good family lawyer.
Are you looking for someone to handle a divorce case? If yes, then you should look for the best family lawyers. Any legal proceedings which leads to the annulment of your marriage can be troublesome and draining. A good lawyer can help make the process less stressful. If you have children involved as well, there would be chances of going through a child custody case as well. A family lawyer could help make the legal proceedings of the child custody simple and stress free.
When looking food a good family lawyer, keep all of the following things in mind.
Just don’t hire the first lawyer you come across
When you are in the market looking for a product, you just don’t go and get the first one you ever see. You take a look at two or three different ones and then choose one which is right for you. Same is the case while looking for a family lawyer in Sydney. You need to find someone who is best for you, someone who can help make the legal process smooth and stress free. Your lawyer should be on the same wavelength as you. Keep in mind that you would be sharing quite a lot of details with the lawyer. Some of those which you wish to be kept confidential. This is why it’s important to hire a person who can understand your issues and then give you the right legal advice.
When it comes to division of assets, if there is no prenuptial present you might have to be prepared for a detailed discussion with your spouse and their lawyer as well. What the two of you could decide amiably I best for both parties. In order to file for an amiable divorce choose the lawyer carefully.
Ask the right questions
The key to finding the best family lawyers in Sydney is asking the right questions. Here is a list of queries you can go through before you finalise who you want to help you with your case.
- How long have you been practicing family law
- What procedures are usually involved during a divorce case and a separation? Do you need to submit any specific documents?
- How do they expect you to pay for the case? Do they charge an hourly fee or they charge a total fee once the proceedings are through?
- Do they have the license to practice?
- What advice could they give you to help make the process less stressful
- What if there is no prenuptial involved or if there is one, what it would take to challenge the clauses present in the prenuptial since circumstances have changed for both you and your spouse.
Finding the right lawyer doesn’t need to be a difficult task. Just keeping the above mentioned things in mind you could find the best family lawyers in Sydney. Make sure you do your research and take your time when deciding on who you would like to hire.
Individuals who have been married for a short while might consider whether it’s better to go for an annulment or divorce. When thing end this quickly there is always an element of bitterness. Both individuals wish to get things over with as soon as possible. However, you need to determine whether annulment would work in your particular case or not.
Annulments are not a great deal different from divorces. An annulment is also a court order which can dissolve a marriage. However, unlike a divorce an annulment signifies that the marriage never existed in the first place. Getting an annulment is actually a bit difficult when compared to getting a divorce.
An annulment is granted only in the following cases
- When a person has been subjected to fraud, misrepresentation or concealing of facts. This can be associated when a spouse has failed to clarify their real age, any problems conceiving a child and if a spouse is already married but failed to get a divorce.
- Concealing something like having a previous drug habit, alcoholism, ongoing criminal activities are all instances when an individual can apply for an annulment.
- If an individual is unable to consummate the marriage, the marriage can immediately become null and void. In other words if one of the spouse refuses to have marital relations this can be a strong basis for annulment. However, this is applicable when and only there has been no sexual relationship in the marriage.
- General misunderstandings like refusal to have children by one spouse can also be considered a basis for annulment.
In other words an annulment can only take place if you have been married for a very short while. This pertains to marriages which have lasted no more than a few days to a few months. It is also easier to divide assets and businesses because they haven’t merged a great deal.
During an annulment all the property shared by the spouses is divided according to what it had been prior to the marriage. Any joint property like gifts etc. are divided equally. Also different states may have specific laws regarding an annulment.
If you have any questions regarding your eligibility for seeking an annulment, make sure you contact a good family lawyer in Gold Coast. They would be able to guide you through the complete process. There are some unusual legal requirements when it comes to seeking an annulment, this is why it’s important to hire a good family lawyer.
When choosing a family lawyer keep in mind that you should deal with a lawyer with whom you feel comfortable. Due to the sensitivity of the issue involving an annulment you need to have complete faith and confidence in your lawyer. You can try and talk to at least two or three people before deciding who you want to handle the annulment. Also choose someone who has a good reputation and who has been handling such cases in the past as well. Their experience would give them an edge and help you get an annulment much quicker.
Family law encompasses a broad range of topics which involves the relationships in a family. Family law is about the legal responsibilities parents have on their children and other things such as divorce, child support, adoption etc. There are various rules which people need to follow for various family-related issues.
Family cases are more like civil cases, but it usually involves the cases where there are issues between husband and wife, parents and children. Most of the domestic matters are handled in family courts, and some of the common issues that are handled at family courts include marriage dissolution, child custody, domestic violence cases, change of name, guardianships, juvenile matters, termination of parental rights etc.
Family law attorneys:
Family law attorneys help individuals with various family cases. They will be by your side and guide you through the entire process. When you are getting a divorce, you need to submit a lot of documents to the court. You need to give them the division of property, child custody, spousal support etc. When it comes to negotiating the terms, both the parties end up having issues with each other in order to get a better outcome.
Family law attorneys are experienced in handling such cases, and you can hire them to guide you through the entire process. They would have handled lots of cases like this before, and with their experience, they will be able to help you get the best possible outcome.
When it comes to divorce cases, your lawyer will have a better objective about you and your case. As you are dealing with family issues you will be emotionally disturbed and hiring an experienced family lawyer who can handle all the stress will be a great idea.
Paperwork and Red Tape:
When it comes to legal cases, you will have to deal with substantial paperwork. The amount of paperwork which needs to be done varies from case to case and hiring an experienced lawyer who can help you with all the paperwork would help you focus on other things.
When you are working with an experienced family lawyer, you will be able to go through the entire process smoothly. These lawyers will be professionals in handling your case as they have handled similar cases in the past. Their extensive knowledge and support arguments will help you win the case and get a fair settlement.
Charges for a family lawyer:
Most of the lawyers charge you by the hour. However, some use flat rates and offer simple services and documentation work. The rates of hiring a family lawyer will vary according to the place you live, the complexity of your case and quality of the firm. If you are determined to win the case, then you need a family lawyer to provide the best outcome.
Family lawyers are the ones who deal with all the relationship issues in a family who has to be dealt with legally. Many people have the idea that family lawyers only deal with divorces, but there are various other cases which are handled by family lawyers. But you need to remember that not all family lawyers will deal with all issues, some choose to be specialised in a particular area while others handle all family law cases. The following are some of the types of family lawyers:
Divorce lawyers help you go through the divorce process smoothly. The lawyers will work with you so that you will be able to get the best possible settlement. When it comes to divorce cases, there are various factors to consider and divorce lawyers will help you get the best possible outcome. They will negotiate in the court on behalf of you and help you to split the liabilities of marriage. If the couple cannot afford to hire a private legal divorce attorney, they can get help from legal advocacy group who will help them get fair settlements.
Paternity and child custody lawyers:
When it comes to cases where there is a question of paternity for a child, the family lawyer can help the parent to prove paternity. Family law attorneys also help parents develop a parenting plan for their children when their marriage breaks up. The attorney could help a parent to gain sole custody of the child if that was in the best interest of the child. They will also help you to deal with disputes related to child support and which parent should take care of all the expenses of the child.
Civil union lawyers:
Those who are getting married or people who are getting a domestic partnership might need an attorney to help them get an agreement to receive counsel on businesses, assets and other legal matters. If a couple decides to out a postnuptial agreement they can take the help of civil union lawyers.
If you are interested in adopting a child, you might want to hire an adoption lawyer. The adoption lawyers will help you find the adoption agencies and do all the necessary legal paperwork which deals with the adoption of the child. If needed, they will also represent you in court to deal with various legal compensations.
Family lawyers who deal with abuse:
There are many families out there who face domestic violence, and there are children who get abused very badly. The attorney will help the victim to file a case against the person who abused him/her and also gets a restraining order. The lawyers will also get the necessary financial compensation for all the losses incurred and for the mental trauma they had to face.